Paulo is from Brazil. He and his wife Ingrid have been married for 12 years. They met in church. They have three sons, Joshua, Joseph and John Paul. He has been attending New Life for 2 years.
1. What is the best picture you have ever taken?
A reflection shot. I was going to work, and I took a picture of a reflection in the marble of a building. I won an art competition with it.
2. What’s the most difficult thing you have done?
Learning English! Sometimes I have to really think before ordering food. One good example, one time I thought I was saying I want to “paint your kitchen” when I ended up saying “paint your chicken.” I have been through some very embarrassing situations.
3. If you could have lived at any time period in history, what would you pick?
When Christ was on earth. That would be so awesome.
4. What is your favorite article of clothing?
Sports shoes. I just like them a lot.
5. What is one thing that everyone would be surprised by if you told them?
I truly struggle with my English to a point where I was nervous answering these questions for the Team Spotlight. I know when I make a mistake. If we are talking business, I can go for hours speaking in English. But I wish the questions were in Portuguese because you would be able to see the difference.
6. Who is your favorite Bible character and why?
It would be very easy to say Jesus. But I will say the Apostle Paul. I love the book of Corinthians. I love Chapter 13 that talks about love. I live that on a daily basis. I love what he went through. Paul had a problem that he prayed for three times.
Gil is from Brazil and lives in Patterson, New York and New Smyrna Beach, Florida. He has been married for 23 years to his wife Isabel. They have three sons Maurico, Mark and Miguel.
1. If you could time travel, what event would you want to witness?
I would want to see The Beginning.
2. What do you miss most about Brazil besides your family?
My friends. All of the friends I have had for 20 years. Every time I go back we get together.
3. What is the most unique place that you have ever visited?
Rome. We took a bike tour on a Sunday with the wife and the kids to see all of the places.
4. How many other mission trips have you been on?
I have been to Africa two times a year for the last six years. The locals have built a house for me in Senegal.
5. How long have you been living in the U.S.?
I came to the U.S. 1994. I came to relax and watch the ’94 World Cup. I also have my sister here. So then I decided to stay for a while. My oldest son was three months old when I moved.
6. If you can break any Guinness World Record, which one would you break?
Biggest fish caught.